Sunday, September 28, 2014

I Know I Don't Deserve This, But...

There are some days that I really don't deserve the blessings I'm asking for.

Two weeks before I came home, a miracle happened: Rebecca got baptized on September 7th, 2014! That wonderful baptism service did not go off without a hitch, though. The night before she was to be baptized, my companion and I got a call from her saying that the sister who volunteered to give a talk on the Gift of the Holy Ghost had suddenly gotten strep throat and would not make it.

No biggie. I told them I would be glad to give the talk instead.

So the next morning came, as did our regular study time. I had an hour to myself to study for that talk, and I didn't do that. Then we went to church, and I had some downtime before Sacrament Meeting, and I didn't write down any notes at that time either. I think I finally panicked during Relief Society, or in other words, one hour before the baptism.

And so I found myself praying for some help. It went something along the lines of, "Heavenly Father, I know I don't deserve this, but I really want to give a good talk for Rebecca's baptism, and the only way that will happen is with your help. That's the only way I've ever been able to give good talks."

Don't worry; the talk only had to be about five minutes, and I had some good material I stole, uh, borrowed from Preach My Gospel, so it went pretty well. I also know for sure that if I hadn't asked for help, I would have stood up there for five minutes stammering and making a fool of myself.

While we have to do all the work we can in order to get the blessings we most want, ocassionaly God has some mercy on us and forgives our mortal weaknesses. We are His children after all, and I saw for myself that He does want to bless us. I also learned for myself the importance of being prepared and not procrastinating, because I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father isn't going to let me get away with that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment